Freedom. City of Vice. Venice of the North. Cycle Mania. Crooked Houses.
Forget everything you know about Amsterdam. Dive into our city’s DNA and discover the thing that connects its past, present and future. Say hello to the real Amsterdam.
What's it All About?
Discover how a small fishing village transformed into the wealthiest city in the world. Find out how one of the most liberal cities in the world defines freedom. Learn about how 180 nationalities unite in diversity and what it’s like to live in Amsterdam – and so much more. Understand how one element connects Amsterdam’s past, present and future. At the end of this experience, you’ll get what makes Amsterdam tick and your time here will be like clockwork. Most of all, you’ll feel like a part of our city because that’s what you are – even if you’re here for just one day.
- Hear original and immersive stories that bring you face to face with the real Amsterdam
- Discover how one element created Amsterdam and shaped its past, present and future
- Explore the essential Amsterdam themes like Amsterdam’s Golden Age, Red-Light District, Dutch tolerance, bike culture, architecture and more
- Understand why Dutch kids are the happiest in the world
- Find out how Dutch your life is through a fun and interactive game
- Visit the places that matter – from the historic Dam Square, Red Light District, UNESCO heritage Canal Belt and the iconic Jordaan neighbourhood
- Personalized tips for the rest of your stay
Wanna Know More?
Why is there an additional 6% on top of the stated price?
Like many tour operators worldwide, we work with a booking platform called FareHarbor. This 6% fee is paid to them to keep our operations up and running. Thanks for your understanding.
Where will you take me?
Our journey begins at the historic Dam Square. We’ll then cover Amsterdam’s Old Town, Red Light District, the UNESCO heritage Canal Belt and we’ll end in the Jordaan neighbourhood near the Anne Frank House.
How much walking is there in total?
The total distance is around 3km. So put on some good walking shoes and weather-appropriate clothing and you’re all set.
What happens if it rains?
We say, “There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.” So this experience runs rain or shine. In the event of extreme bad weather, we’ll cancel the tour in advance and you’ll get a 100% refund.
What is the mimimum/maximum group size?
The minimum group size is 2 persons and the maximum is 15.
Is this suitable for teenagers?
During this experience, we explore topics like sex work and cannabis culture in an informative and entertaining way. So the recommended age is 18+. However, if you’re open to bringing your young ones to join, you’re absolutely welcome.
Do you offer discounts for groups or students?
Unfortunately, we do not offer group or student discounts. But iAmsterdam city card holders are entitled to 25% off this experience. All you need to do is enter your iAmsterdam city card number when you book, and bring your city card along for your guide to scan on the day of the experience.
How can I pay for this experience?
- Credit or debit card
Can I request for a private tour?
Sure! Please send us a request by email at least a week in advance.
Do you offer this experience in other languages?
For now, this experience is solely run in English.
What if I'm late for the experience?
Please notify us via email or call us (our contact details are in your booking confirmation email) if you’re running late for the experience. We’ll share our location with you so that you can catch up with the group. In case of no-show, no refund will be given out.
What's your cancellation policy?
- Cancellations made more than 48 hours prior to this experience receive a full refund
- Cancellations made 48 hours or less prior to this experience require the guest to pay for the experience in full, and no refund will be issued.
In the event that we have to cancel this experience due to sickness or an emergency, you will receive a full refund.
You can read our full terms and conditions here.